Maintenance Monday: How to wash a bike
This entry was posted on June 2, 2014.
You got a dirty bike? Clean it! All you need to do is give it a good wash to have it looking brand new again.
What you'll need
- Pressure washer, garden pump or hose
- Bike brushes (stiff cassette brush and soft frame brush)
- Bike wash solution
- Chain lube
- Two or three clean, soft rags
- After-wash solution/polish (optional)
Washing the bike
1. Rinse the bike with water to loosen up dirt and grime.
2. Scrub the cassette and chain with degreaser and a stiff-bristle brush.
3. Use a bike cleaner solution and a soft-bristle brush to clean the frame, wheels, cranks, etc.
4. Rinse the cleaner and degreaser from of the bike.
5. Dry the frame, wheels and other components with a cloth. Let the chain and cassette air dry.
6. When the cassette and chain are dry, apply some chain lube.
7. If you have some, rub a little bike polish onto the frame with a soft, clean cloth.
8. Wipe off the polish and enjoy the shine!
9. Go get the bike dirty again and repeat.